COLOUR GRADING - SUBTLE CHANGES CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE TO YOUR FILM FOOTAGE

Below are just a couple of screen grab examples from a scene I filmed recently for my Indie Feature 'Jet Slade: Rise of the Black Hood,' These screen grabs are taken from the codec off my camera. With the proper footage, I'll be able to push the detail and edit the colours more. Filmed in very low light conditions you can still get excellent results. There is a key light to the left of the subject which also fills the instrument panel area.

"Why I tend to always film in low light conditions, I don't know... I must be mad!"

Image A - Natural
In this screen grab (Image A) we're focusing on the images past the windscreen.
 Image A - Graded
Just by adding subtle changes to your footage you can really enhance the look of your film. The reds, yellows and instrument panel look much more vibrant. The road and it's markings look better and you can even see the cat's eyes more clearly.
Below is another example:
Image B - Natural
In this screen grab (Image B) we're focusing on the images inside the vehicle.
 Image B - Graded
Once you've planned and filmed your scene, returned to your studio/edit suite, transferred and viewed all of your rushes and edited your scene... Grading is where the fun begins, it brings your film footage to life.

Thanks for reading,

Edmahoo (Twitter)

Comments

Popular Posts